[coreboot] Flash access on ASUS F2A85 variants

Stefan Tauner stefan.tauner at alumni.tuwien.ac.at
Sat May 3 11:42:24 CEST 2014

Hello,

I noticed that some F2A85 firmwares apparently block flashrom from
accessing the flash correctly as noted here:
http://www.coreboot.org/ASUS_F2A85-M#UEFI_builds_that_allow_flash_chip_access

I could not find any details but the error message one receives:
"ERROR: State of SpiAccessMacRomEn or SpiHostAccessRomEn prohibits full
access."
If I read the documentation of SpiHostAccessRomEn correctly then it
should not bother us at all. It indicates it the ethernet firmware can
access the host partition of the flash chip. If however the other bit
(SpiAccessMacRomEn) is reset to 0 then we indeed have a problem.

Can someone please send me the verbose output of flashrom to confirm
which one it is? And I am also looking for testers with these boards,
because I think the abort on SpiHostAccessRomEn is a bug in flashrom.