[coreboot] naming conventions and new products

Sean McNeil seanmcneil3 at gmail.com
Fri May 30 09:14:40 CEST 2014

I was wondering what is the process for creating new products and what
to call them. In short, who comes up with these names?

For instance, there are a few Intel CPUs called Baytrail - Celerons for
Desktops and Tablets, Atoms for Embedded. They are both represented now
in the coreboot source tree. The Celeron Baytrail-T seems to have been
provided by Google for their Rambi Chromebook. The sources have gone in
src/soc/intel/baytrail.

OK, that seems fair. But it isn't for the Baytrail-I processor (from the
ISG division of Intel). Just recently Sage has committed code for
Baytrail-I as src/soc/intel/fsp_baytrail. I find this very unwieldy and
lacking clarity in naming conventions.

1) In no way is it clear from the names that src/soc/intel/baytrail is
for "D,M,T" versions of the CPU.
2) In no way is it clear from the names that src/soc/intel/fsp_baytrail
is for "I" versions.
3) Why in the world is fsp_ added to the name like that? FSP support
should be somewhat generic in nature and IMHO doesn't need to be spelled
out like that.
4) There is a lot of copied code from src/soc/intel/baytrail to
src/soc/intel/fsp_baytrail. Some integration would by nice.

It would be great if some person or committee were to help clarify and
make naming conventions a little easier to understand.

By the way, I have a fully functional version working on Baytrail-I as
well and I put it in my tree as src/soc/intel/baytrail-isg. Works great
for Bakersport and BayleyBay CRBs. It was my intention to contribute
this at some point, but I doubt now it will get accepted even if better
and more complete.

Cheers,
Sean