[coreboot] x60s tablet question : optimized kernel, coreboot with the video fix and serial ports support

Charles Devereaux coreboot at guylhem.net
Fri May 30 17:47:44 CEST 2014

Hello

I recently purchased a x60s tablet to learn more about coreboot, and how to
make the boot process as fast as possible. The wacom capabilities are
important as this machine will also be used to take notes - so I figured I
would just apply the patches for the video fix and serial ports support

I applied in this order:

- the video fix described on http://www.libreboot.org/howto.html :
$ git clone http://review.coreboot.org/coreboot
$ cd coreboot
$ git fetch http://review.coreboot.org/coreboot refs/changes/20/5320/6 &&
git checkout FETCH_HEAD
$ git fetch http://review.coreboot.org/coreboot refs/changes/45/5345/1 &&
git cherry-pick FETCH_HEAD

In src/mainboard/lenovo/x60/devicetree.cb, change register "gpu_backlight"
= "0x1280128" to register "gpu_backlight" = "0x879F879E"

- the motherboard recon (needed by serial port) on
http://review.coreboot.org/#/c/5246/5

git fetch http://review.coreboot.org/coreboot refs/changes/46/5246/6 && git
checkout FETCH_HEAD

- the serial port on http://review.coreboot.org/#/c/5239/ :

git fetch http://review.coreboot.org/coreboot refs/changes/39/5239/17 &&
git checkout FETCH_HEAD

- the irda fix on http://review.coreboot.org/#/c/5242/:

git fetch http://review.coreboot.org/coreboot refs/changes/42/5242/15 &&
git checkout FETCH_HEAD

Problem is, after running the sequence of git commands, the video fix is
gone.

I created a new branch as suggested by git to keep the patches (git branch
new_branch_name ....), but since I never played with git before I guess I
did something wrong.

I could take the patches and manually apply them (in fact I'm about to do
that!), but I wonder what is the proper way to do it - and also if I'm
missing any important recent patch not mentioned in the online guides.

Also, would anyone here already have a .config for a more or less kernel
finetuned (ie no useless peripherals or modules) for a x60 using coreboot?
Starting from a good base would save some time.

Thanks for any help !