[coreboot] libpayload and LGPL code

Chauhan, Himanshu hschauhan at nulltrace.org
Mon Sep 22 04:26:41 CEST 2014

On Mon, Sep 22, 2014 at 6:49 AM, Peter Stuge <peter at stuge.se> wrote:

> > > Yes, I think that's a very good idea.
> >
> > But to my understanding, it would convert FILO from GPLv2 to GPLv3.
> > Isn't it?
>
> Adding a source file with a particular license does not automatically
> affect the license of other source code.
>
> But creating a work which includes some GPLv3 code does require all
> other code to be compatible with that new GPLv3 code.
>
> I notice that currently this is not the case for FILO, since the
> license of other source files is GPL version 2 only.
>
> You are correct that in order to include GPLv3 code into FILO, it
> would be neccessary for copyright holders for existing files to agree
> on changing the license of those files to one which permits combining
> their work with GPLv3 code. The simplest change would be to change
> from current "GPLv2 only" to "GPL v2 or later" - but I do not know if
> all copyright holders would agree, and/or if it is something we want
> to even attempt. Some copyright holders might not be involved in the
> coreboot project anymore. :\
>

> It can be possible to mix different licenses, but it does make things
> more complicated.
>
> The license issue aside, I think that FILO is a more natural place
> for storage device drivers than libpayload. (Ron, here we go, drivers...)
>
> Maybe it is easiest to use SeaBIOS to do what you want? :)

Hmmm... It would rather be much easier to write my own version of Virtio
layer for Coreboot/FILO than using SeaBIOS. I don't want to use any
software, as guest under Xvisor, with any kind of modifications.

I hate L/GPL3 for this incompatibility. This affects the derived work. But
it seems nothing can be done.

So shall I abandon this review too? I think I should. Let me work on it
from scratch. I will probably make it GPL2 than BSD.

Himanshu

> //Peter
>
> --

Thanks