[coreboot] Release Engineering (again)

Stefan Tauner stefan.tauner at alumni.tuwien.ac.at
Tue Feb 10 23:15:11 CET 2015

On Tue, 10 Feb 2015 19:22:31 +0100
Patrick Georgi <patrick at georgi-clan.de> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> we had our last big discussion about building coreboot releases in
> November. It quickly moved to the topic of removing boards that don't
> comply to any kind of metric, and the discussion mostly went down with
> that.
>
> So, since I really like to get a release process up and running

TBH I have not followed that discussion very closely, so maybe that's
clear for everybody but me... but WHY do we need releases at all?

From my perspective it does not make too much sense, the board status
thingy is good enough... coordinating people to obey arbitrary
deadlines creates some friction that requires some rationale IMHO.
I for one would rather read some changelog-like newsletters/blog posts
and rely on board status than have some real changelogs + coreboot
"versions". So, what advantages do you hope for?