[coreboot] On the subject of collaboration

Alexandru Gagniuc mr.nuke.me at gmail.com
Wed Feb 18 22:48:33 CET 2015

On Wednesday, February 18, 2015 10:21:44 PM Stefan Reinauer wrote:
> * Alexandru Gagniuc <mr.nuke.me at gmail.com> [150214 02:14]:
> [..]
>
> > Do we really want to push people's nerves every year until we finally get
> > fork?
> >
> > Alex
>
> Alex,
>
> the leadership of this project reserves the right to enforce standards
> and, where required, lock down parts of coreboot.org or the mailing list
> to enforce those standards.
>
> We value your contributions. We also understand that you may not find
> this situation acceptable and hence may not be able to continue as a
> contributor.

I think you've pointed just pointed out the root of the problem. Nobody can
claim that you, or a small group of people is entitled to absolute power in
the project. The fact that someone owns all or part of the infrastructure that
runs coreboot does not entitle them to claim that they, or a small group of
people have absolute power in the project.

If you, or any of the persons we contributors look towards as examples and
guides fail to recognize that we are in fact a community, things will go
south. I've seen it happen before, and I keep hoping it won't happen here.

I hope this gives all of us an idea of why people can get ticked off, and
helps us avoid situations like this one (or the one last year) in the future.

Alex

P.S.
I own part of the infrastructure that runs coreboot. Arguably, I own the most
expensive part of said infrastructure. So what?