[coreboot] Coreboot reproducible builds

Vadim Bendebury vbendeb at chromium.org
Thu Feb 26 17:48:56 CET 2015

On Thu, Feb 26, 2015 at 8:10 AM, Patrick Georgi via coreboot
<coreboot at coreboot.org> wrote:
>> It seems that Coreboot doesn't have reproducible builds yet.
> You're right, it doesn't. One of the major items is probably to
> replace the current build time stamps with something more reasonable.
> For example, the current commit's time stamp (unless the tree is
> dirty, in which reproducability is impossible).

There are two facets to this issue:

- when an image needs to built from source, we want the binary to be
the same. In case the tree is dirty we might include a hash of the
tree diffs against the top SHA1, just a thought.

- build always recompiles some files and relinks the image, even if
there is not source code changes. Is this really necessary, shouldn't
make just do nothing in case the source did not change?

--vb