[coreboot] MbMax coreboot image

Ben Gardner gardner.ben at gmail.com
Tue Jan 19 20:08:46 CET 2016

Hi Supriti,

You are supposed to extract the TXE/ME image (and the IFD) from an
existing MbMax BIOS.
Those files may have been customized by the vendor for your board.

Use flashrom to extract the existing BIOS and then use idftool to
extract the sections.
You may also be able to find a MbMax BIOS on line (I haven't looked.)

Example:
... on the MbMax board ...
$ flashrom -r bios.rom -p internal
... copy bios.rom to your coreboot build machine ...
$ ifdtool bios.rom -x
File bios.rom is 16777216 bytes
Found Flash Descriptor signature at 0x00000010
  Flash Region 0 (Flash Descriptor): 00000000 - 00000fff
  Flash Region 1 (BIOS): 00200000 - 00ffffff
  Flash Region 2 (Intel ME): 00001000 - 001fffff
  Flash Region 3 (GbE): 00000000 - 00000fff
  Flash Region 4 (Platform Data): 00fff000 - 00000fff (unused)

That creates two files that are then fed into the coreboot build process:
   flashregion_0_flashdescriptor.bin <- IFD file
   flashregion_2_intel_me.bin <- ME file

Update these two items in your config:
CONFIG_IFD_BIN_PATH="../path/to/flashregion_0_flashdescriptor.bin"
CONFIG_ME_BIN_PATH="../path/to/flashregion_2_intel_me.bin"

With the right access at Intel you can get tools that can customize
those files, but unless you are designing a custom board, you
shouldn't need to do that.

Ben