[coreboot] How to build coreboot with alternate toolchain?

Paul Menzel paulepanter at users.sourceforge.net
Fri May 13 23:06:02 CEST 2016

Dear David,

Am Freitag, den 13.05.2016, 13:26 -0700 schrieb David Hendricks:

> Do you have multiple versions of GCC installed?

Yes, I do have several versions installed. The packages `gcc-4.9`,
`gcc-5`, and `gcc-6`.

> You might need to use "update-alternatives" to manage them. I haven't
> done so with Debian, but this page seems to have a pretty good
> explanation:
> http://lektiondestages.blogspot.com/2013/05/installing-and-switching-gccg-versions.html

Thank you for that suggestion, which Stefan Tauner also brought up in #
coreboot at freenode.net. In Debian `cc` is not really managed by update-
alternatives.

```
$ LANG=C sudo update-alternatives --config cc[sudo] password for paul:
There is only one alternative in link group cc (providing /usr/bin/cc): /usr/bin/gcc
Nothing to configure.
$ LANG=C sudo update-alternatives --config gcc
update-alternatives: error: no alternatives for gcc
```

As this is not required in other projects, like SeaBIOS, would it be
useful to be able to pass variables in, so that the command below would
work?

```
$ make HOSTCC=gcc-6 CC=gcc-6
```