[coreboot] How does SeaBIOS transition to Linux?

Haleigh Novak haleigh at edt.com
Sat Feb 4 01:52:04 CET 2017

Hello All,

I was wondering if anyone could take a few minutes and explain the proccess of how coreboots SeaBIOS payload (or even how coreboot itself) transitions into a Linux boot sequence to me? I understand that in some memory section there is an assembly command that tells the system to jump somewhere (if anyone knows where this assembly segment is I would love to know as a base for more searching) to begin the Linux boot process and after that jump Linux takes it from there; what I'm seeking in asking this question here is a detailed (the more detailed the better), if possible step by step command set on how SeaBIOS turns into Linux - or a pointer in the direction to find the actual assembly code that instructs this transition. I have been googling for approximatly two hours now and have been unable to find anything other than super general 'SeaBIOS  knows how to query this thing, then that just goes here, etc'. I know this is probably something most might think is trivial and I apologise for that, but I really dont understand the transition on the level that I feel I need to so I figured I would ask the best.

Thank you for your time.

HN