[coreboot] Thinkpad T420 Thermal Management

Arian Sanusi coreboot at semioptimal.net
Tue Feb 7 18:25:36 CET 2017

Hi

> Anybody tested Thinkpad T420's thermal management and fan speed control?

I'm running one albeit with an i7-3740qm - which is too much thermal load, runs up to 2.9 GHz for me reaching 93°C (70K to ambient) with fan set to disengaged, normal auto fan control works and allows up to 2.5 GHz.

with that CPU RAPL does not work, thermald does but out-of-the-box settings gives me less performance than with fix limits, and I'm sure as hell not going to configure something with an xml config file.

used to have a 2720m which worked without any issues AFAIR, but the 3740qm effectively gives me double the cores that are a little faster.

anything else you want to know?

Best, Arian