[coreboot] Building 4.5 from release sources

Aaron Durbin adurbin at google.com
Thu Jan 5 22:18:32 CET 2017

On Thu, Jan 5, 2017 at 3:26 PM, Peter Stuge <peter at stuge.se> wrote:
> Aaron Durbin via coreboot wrote:
>> This was discussed around a month ago on #coreboot, iirc.
>
> That's not really good enough, IMHO.

I was providing background on a recent discussion related to the topic at hand.

> So far, coreboot was always self-contained. It even goes so far as to
> build its own toolchain.
>
> Creating mandatory dependencies which may actually not always be
> neccessary is simply poor software engineering, and not something
> I think that we should be doing. Let's try to fix it!

We actually control the submodules. They live on coreboot.org. It's
the release process that doesn't include the dependencies (at least
that's my understanding).  There are a hoard a mandatory dependencies
depending on what board you are trying to build that likely aren't
packaged from all the submodules. Where is the line drawn for board
not working/building because of an unmet dependency not included in
the release tarball?

> Is there any technical reason *not* to decouple coreboot source from
> vboot source completely?

No. It's just that we use functionality of vboot library currently
with no replacement to plug that functionality. One could sprinkle all
kinds of #ifdefs around, but that's just papering over a deficiency in
the current release process. As I noted there's supposed to be work
done to provide the crypto/hash interface that would decouple things.
I assumed people were working on it. Maybe they aren't?