[coreboot] Using as default external monitor for booting in x230

Peter Stuge peter at stuge.se
Fri Jan 20 01:21:26 CET 2017

Car.cuevas via coreboot wrote:
> Well actually, for me what's important is that I can be able to see
> through DP2 from the docker, If I can alter actually the backlight
> sequence, and setup the DP2 as the first one, but I have to say
> sorry because from your explanations I am not sure if it means that
> with Coreboot, the OS would be able to handle to show through the
> DP2 the video signal or not?..

Firmware and OS need to both support using the external port.

coreboot does not currently have end-user-consumable support for the
external port.

Two different development efforts seem possible:

1. Try to find out if you can use vendor VGA BIOS with or without SeaBIOS
to use the external port. I estimate chance of success to be 95% and the
effort to be fairly small, but you will need to reverse engineer x86 assembly.

2. Connect Nico's libgfxinit (written in Ada) with the coreboot panel
and backlight power code.

> For the mod, I have now actually in the BIOS didn't have to do a
> thing, just to set up in the bios as default screen the DP2,

So you did have to do a thing, and you'll be the first person doing
that thing with coreboot, if you want to have a go at it.

//Peter