[coreboot] Proposal: "Freedom level" field for boards supported by coreboot

Taiidan at gmx.com Taiidan at gmx.com
Fri Jan 20 00:52:59 CET 2017

On 01/19/2017 06:16 PM, Andrés Domínguez wrote:

>> All,
>>
>> I've been working on a new way to classify boards supported by coreboot
>> based on their freedom level.
> Very good idea.
>
>> I uploaded the classification criteria to
>> the Wiki here
>>
>> https://www.coreboot.org/Board_freedom_levels
> There are a few things that I don't like about your categories,
> specially the "scary red Pwned": Don't you think that people reading
> the coreboot web page, will think that the "Pwned" are worse than
> buying any random board not supported by coreboot, with the same
> freedom issues? I would use not colored not named for the last
> category. Gold, Silver and Bronze sound good to me, you could always
> add Platinum and Iridium if more free boards appear and + or - for
> every category that needs subcategories.
>
> I also agree with Julius about the ARM platforms that have not
> supported GPU or WIFI. For many use cases GPU is not needed, and WIFI
> can be replaced by PCIe or USB one.
>
> Andrés
FSP coreboot isn't the real thing, it is almost absolutely pointless as
it doesn't really do anything at all - we shouldn't entertain the purism
idiots who support that.

x86 is dead, in a year or so you won't be able to find any new non
FSP/ME/PSP type motherboards so we will be reduced to buying overpriced
used boards from ebay (kgpe-d16 - get em new while you can boys)

At this point the only realistic option is a campaign to make libre one
of the more affordable POWER8 systems, eventually they will come down in
price and it'll be affordable (in 2012 a brand new kgpe d16 plus new cpu
ram etc would be just as much as a lower end POWER8 is now)

Unfortunate despite all the linux sysadmin's who are making 100K+ per
year the authentic "hacker" culture[1] is nearly dead so nobody really
cares about free firmware enough to cough up real money for to make it a
reality, which is why TALOS failed.

[1] people who work for facebook, google or another web 2.0 trendster
company and who call themselves a "hacker" don't fall in to this category.