[coreboot] Does the 62xx Series Opteron work *securely* without microcode?

Timothy Pearson tpearson at raptorengineering.com
Sat Jan 28 21:35:38 CET 2017

On 01/28/2017 02:25 PM, Igor Skochinsky wrote:
> Hello Timothy,
>
> Wednesday, January 25, 2017, 6:32:29 PM, you wrote:

> TP> On 01/25/2017 11:26 AM, Aaron Durbin wrote:
>>> On Wed, Jan 25, 2017 at 11:24 AM, Timothy Pearson
>>> <tpearson at raptorengineering.com> wrote:

>>> As far as we have been able to determine it does, again with the caveat
>>> that this is without microcode _updates_, not without microcode.  There
>>> is still the off chance that these CPUs ship with a backdoor inside the
>>> burnt microcode ROM that is patched out with an update.  Unlike POWER
>>> and ARM we are solely dependent on the vendor being trustworthy enough
>>> to disclose issues in their errata document; outside of that, there is
>>> simply no feasible way to know for certain what bugs are lurking inside
>>> the CPU.

> TP> I am definitely aware of that; the difference is that with POWER the
> TP> microcode is open (though documentation is lacking), and most of the
> TP> mainstream ARM implementations lack microcode.
>
> ARM1 had microcode[1], are you sure the current cores don't? The TRMs do
> mention revision numbers after all.
>
> [1] http://www.righto.com/2016/02/reverse-engineering-arm1-processors.html

ARM's microcode is generally hardwired; i.e. it can't be updated.  You
are correct in that I was not precise enough; all modern CPUs have some
kind of microcode to make implementation practical.  ARM is interesting
in that the vast majority of manufacturers hardwire the microcode at the
gate level; this might be related to ensuring that the cores use minimal
area but this is just a wild guess.  NVIDIA is a notable exception with
Tegra; Tegra cores have updateable microcode the same as x86 and POWER CPUs.

- --
Timothy Pearson
Raptor Engineering
+1 (415) 727-8645 (direct line)