[coreboot] How to improve the boot time of the Asus KGPE-D16?

Daniel Kulesz daniel.ina1 at googlemail.com
Wed Mar 15 22:50:29 CET 2017

On Wed, 15 Mar 2017 16:17:31 -0500
Timothy Pearson <tpearson at raptorengineering.com> wrote:

> On 03/15/2017 04:09 PM, Daniel Kulesz via coreboot wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > I wanted to try caching of the MRC training data. As described in Timothy's post, I commented the following line:
> >
> >> allow_config_restore = 0;
> >
> > However, I was not able to measure any effects regarding boot time. Does this setting only work with cbfs enabled? And if so, is it necessary to set additionally any cbfs variables?
> >
> > Cheers, Daniel
>
> You will need NVRAM enabled for this setting to work.  Additionally,
> there is some instability when this line is uncommented; when I have
> some free time available I'll take another look at why.

Many thanks - this did the trick! Boot time decreased from 71s to 30s now. Finally, coreboot boots up twice as fast as the vendor bios on the KGPE-D16!

@Timothy: Regarding the mentioned instability: Have you tested for its presence after we applied this "revert fix" for the MCT failures? I've been running "memtester 10G" + "stress-ng --cpu 0" for around 20 minutes now but could not observe any failures, instabilities or dmesg entries so far.

@Paul: Have you tried this setting as well? If yes - would you like to share your experience?

Cheers, Daniel