[coreboot] Coreboot wiki: what license is the content under?

Sam Kuper sam.kuper at uclmail.net
Fri Mar 17 11:35:05 CET 2017

On 16/03/2017, Sam Kuper <sam.kuper at uclmail.net> wrote:
> Ideally, Coreboot would dual-license the content under the GFDL and CC
> BY-SA 3.0, making the content entirely license compatible with content
> from Wikipedia and from the Stack Exchange network of websites.

Actually, CC BY-SA 3.0 alone would be better. That is because copying
CC BY-SA 3.0-licensed content from Stack Exchange, and then publishing
it under both CC BY-SA 3.0 *and* GFDL, would be a breach of CC BY-SA
3.0.

On 16/03/2017, Timothy Pearson <tpearson at raptorengineering.com> wrote:
> On 03/16/2017 04:10 PM, Sam Kuper wrote:
>> Looks like there are only 172 additional Coreboot wiki contributors to
>> account for :)
>
> Yep :-)  I just figured that if the major contributors on this list
> specified a license we'd be well on our way to fixing this!

For the (re-)licensing effort to succeed:

- the remaining 172 people need to be contacted;

- there needs to be a way to keep track of who has been responded, and
what their response was.

Contacting the wiki contributors would seem to require the involvement
of a person with privileged access to the wiki, such as Patrick Georgi
or Stefan Reinauer (CC'd). In the first instance, perhaps that person
should attempt to reach those users via MassMessage:

https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Help:Extension:MassMessage

Collating replies: I'm not sure. Make a table on the wiki with two
columns: one with all the usernames in, and one for the users to put
their signatures in to indicate willingness to license their
contributions under the proposed terms? Any better suggestions?

Also: sanity check. Does anyone else here besides me and Timothy feel
that making the wiki documentation available under a free culture
license would be a good idea?