[coreboot] Intel ME and the onboard e1000e

Taiidan at gmx.com Taiidan at gmx.com
Mon Mar 20 22:42:46 CET 2017

On 03/20/2017 02:37 PM, Trammell Hudson wrote:

> As a very belated data point to disabling the ME on the x230, it appears
> that it also disables the e1000e wired ethernet.  The Linux kernel's
> ich8lan.c file reports an error that "No valid NVM bank present" and
> won't bring up eth0 if the ME has been flashed with a minimal firmware.
>
> Since the ME shares the device with the host for command & control
> by external parties, this seems like there must be some setup
> that the ME does on the device to coordinate access with the x86.

I believe that newer intel nics have some kind of "NVM" firmware image
on them (and the EEUpdate utility lets you update it)

Maybe ME loads it for LOM's to enable the "special" management features?
(Intel L is regular version LM is "LOM" version which supports ME/vPro),
I imagine the "regular" nics either have it present in the regular flash
image or on a separate EEPROM like with one of the pci-e cards.

Source:
https://plone.lucidsolutions.co.nz/networking/nic/intel/flash-winyao-i350-t4-eeupdate

Note: this isn't the pxe/iscsi boot firmware it is something else, send
me an email if you want the update utility or you can get an EFI version
from the IBM website.