[coreboot] References to ich9gen in the wiki (was: Re: Fwd: Ethernet problem in x200)

Nico Huber nico.huber at secunet.com
Wed Mar 29 12:38:44 CEST 2017

On 29.03.2017 10:52, Denis 'GNUtoo' Carikli wrote:
>>> To get a working Ethernet with (3) you need to set a
>>> valid mac address:
>>> In the installation documentation, you are expected to use ich9gen,
>>> however if you use it this way:
>>> It will not produce a valid MAC address. You must instead do
>>> something like that, and replace <A-VALID-MAC-ADDRESS> by a valid
>>> MAC address:
>>> To find such MAC address, you have several options:
>>> - Look if it can be found on a sticker on the bottom of your laptop.
>>> - Reflash the original flash content and get it with:
>>> or:
>>
>> Pew, thanks for reminding me, that we have this in our wiki.
> I was not reminding you, I was talking to Zoran Stojsavljevic.
> That said, it indeed would have been faster for me to point to the wiki
> resources.

Sorry, this was badly articulated. The "thanks" was meant sincere.

I had this on my TODO list for some time. I think we should (if not
already done) extend ifdtool to toggle whatever bit is needed to run
without ME firmware. And let people use that instead of building a new
blob which only extends the list of entities you have to trust.

Nico

PS. Actually I think coreboot shouldn't handle these platform blobs at
    all. But that's even harder to convince people of ;)