[flashrom] Not sure where to put this?

Carl-Daniel Hailfinger c-d.hailfinger.devel.2006 at gmx.net
Thu Aug 20 12:36:05 CEST 2009

Hi Marko,

On 20.08.2009 01:12, Marko Kraljevic wrote:
> Hi, I'm new to the list.

Welcome!

> I've been playing with flashrom some, and it's great. Thanks for the work guys.

:-)

> I've put a ZIF socket on a 3com NIC, for external programming. It
> seems to be working great.
> I've taken a picture, maybe it would be useful for the wiki or something.

Sure. Under what license is the picture? Public domain? CC-BY-SA?
We need a separate wiki page about the 3com flasher once we have enough
stuff for such a page.

> I'm not a terribly good programmer, but I'm pretty good with hardware
> generally...
> I'm going to be doing some more hardware work in the future.

Great. We have quite a few interesting flashrom-related project ideas
which require someone to be familiar with hardware.

> I think I'll make an ISA card with 32 and 28pin ZIF, and PLCC socket,
> on the 440BX board I have, addr is off the ISA bus, so I'll just
> buffer that. Data seems to go to the superIO chip, so I'll have to
> have a cheater socket under the stock BIOS ROM to steal /CS D0:7, etc.
> I think I'll buffer all the lines on the card, so that the bus doesn't
> get fried in case of a fried chip or whatnot. It will be a sort of
> general purpose flashing board.

The big problem with this plan is that most PLCC chips use a completely
different protocol (LPC/FWH) on the wire, so if you just have a few
address and data lines, it will be very hard to impossible to support
those chips without an extra translation chip.
There are quite a few designs for LPC/FWH flashers out there and maybe
you want to work with one of them. LPCflasher, LPC^2, Milksop,
Paraflasher, ...

> I think I'll try and implement support
> for the older 27xxx EPROMs at some point, which shouldn't be too
> difficult I don't think?

We may have to add a function in flashrom which raises the programming
voltage to 12V for such old chips, but other than that, it should be doable.

> anyways, here's the picture if anyone wants it:
> http://electrontube.org/img/3com_prog.jpg

Thanks. Once I know the license, I'll upload it to the wiki.

Regards,
Carl-Daniel

--
http://www.hailfinger.org/