[flashrom] USB - PIO based flasher

Joseph Smith joe at settoplinux.org
Thu Jul 15 02:02:54 CEST 2010

On 07/14/2010 06:20 PM, Guenter wrote:
> Hi,
> Am 14.07.2010 16:29, schrieb Carl-Daniel Hailfinger:
>> On 14.07.2010 13:13, Joseph Smith wrote:
>>> http://www.bmc-messsysteme.de/us/pr-usb-pio.html
>>>
>>> I think this would make an awesome little flasher :-)

After reading it looks like the USB-PIO is a USB version of the IDE
Flasher (http://www.loet.de/flasher.html) with some kind of a modern
82C55 PIO chip. I would love to know what is inside of it :-)

>> I think it's too expensive, and there is absolutely no information about
>> the controller it uses.
If only we could figure out what is inside, one could be made for
fraction of the price...

> I was thinking exactly same ...
> Take a look here fore a really cheap usb2par adapter:
> USD/GBP http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=260559167502
> EURO http://cgi.ebay.de/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=260559167502

Yes, and I read somewhere this adapter "claims" to be a true usb to LPC
adapter. Not like the other cheap DB25 ones. Just purchased one, we will
see...

> and with a little bit external logic you can make an awesome little
> flasher from it I think ...
> with this cheap price worth to think about, and big plus would be that
> you can then also use this flasher on any standard parallel port.
>
> Also there are other cheap ready-to-use programmers available, f.e.:
> USD/GBP http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=190406064090
> EURO http://cgi.ebay.de/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=190406064090
> just read what you all get with this offer ...

Yes seems tempting but I looks like no LPC or FWH chips
supported.....and my bigest concern.... no Linux support.

Joseph Smith
Set-Top-Linux
www.settoplinux.org