[flashrom] Help, please. :-)

Carl-Daniel Hailfinger c-d.hailfinger.devel.2006 at gmx.net
Thu Jul 22 13:05:36 CEST 2010

On 22.07.2010 09:33, Michael Karcher wrote:
> [...] I suspect that something goes wrong with the communication between
> the chipset and the flash chip (maybe some other flash accesses, for
> example from System Management Mode?).

The board has an IPMI controller which may cause all sorts of screwups.

Greg, Colin, can you get a sharp high-res photo of the region of the
board where the flash chip is located and upload that to imageshack or
some other service? I want to be 100% sure that we're not dealing with a
situation where two flash chips are present, and the IPMI controller
switches between chips to confuse flashrom to no end.

> Am Mittwoch, den 21.07.2010, 22:19 -0400 schrieb Colin Williams
>> and it now reports the chip as a "SST unknown SST SPI chip", with all
>> four operations not working.  Attached are the output of the failed
>> flash attempt, and a probe from after that attempt.
>>
> can you please send the output of "flashrom -VV" and "lspci -vvvnnxxx"
> to the list, and send me privately the old backup image, the image you
> tried to write and the file "contentsnow.bin" created by 'flashrom -r
> contentsnow.bin -f -c SST49LF160C', and also check whether different
> runs of flashrom create the same contentsnow.bin? It looks like flashrom
> managed to mess up your chipset configuration that much that most flash
> accesses do not do what they really should do anymore.

Yes, the flash chip seems to be totally confused. Once we have the
output of the commands above, we have a good chance to find a way to
whack the chip on the head so that it will respond normally again.

Regards,
Carl-Daniel

--
http://www.hailfinger.org/