[flashrom] Multilanguage wiki

Carl-Daniel Hailfinger c-d.hailfinger.devel.2006 at gmx.net
Sat Jul 24 19:25:12 CEST 2010

On 24.07.2010 18:57, Luc Verhaegen wrote:
> On Sat, Jul 24, 2010 at 04:35:33PM +0200, Carl-Daniel Hailfinger wrote:
>
>> right now the flashrom wiki is English-only and that is a big barrier
>> for many people who don't speak English well (or at all). There have
>> been offers by various people to translate key contents of the wiki to
>> Russian and German, and I hope we can integrate multilanguage support in
>> a way that works well and does not need excessive effort from translators.
>>
> How many lines of code is flashrom?

25000+ lines of  code.

> Have you seen wiki pages in multiple languages work, as in up to date,
> maintained and containing useful information, for projects 100x as
> big?

I'm not demanding complete translation. That's not feasible and would
lead to frustration. The key is to define a few pages as important (main
page, device support, contact, howto) and make sure those are up to
date. That's what's sufficient for most users.

> With the limited amount of manpower that is available for flashrom,
> don't we have better things to do?

We have people who can translate very well, and who want to focus on
translation and user support. This work is not reducing the time they
spend on flashrom development, but it has the potential to grow the
userbase in countries where people do not speak English. As such, I
strongly encourage those volunteers to help us become an international
standard.

Regards,
Carl-Daniel

--