irq tables generation

ron minnich rminnich at lanl.gov
Wed Dec 3 17:05:01 CET 2003

On Wed, 3 Dec 2003, Stefan Reinauer wrote:

> Do we agree that interrupts should be _unassigned_ during firmware
> execution and set by the OS only? Another way of handling this might be
> to set some default values and allow the OS to reconfigure those.

I am finding that OSes are really dumb, in general. Much to my regret, we
are going to have to assign these in linuxbios. It won't be 100% reliable
otherwise.

> Not to forget the mptable - that contains additional information on
> which busses are available - information that Linux obviously don't like
> to read from there but from the irq table.

in SMP mode, the mptable is used. In UP mode with IO-APIC support, the
mptable is used, But in Old Fashioned 1981 PC mode, the IRQ table is used
and the MPTABLE ignored.

what a mess.

ron