[LinuxBIOS] No known linux compatable BIOS programmer ?

Jeff Carr jcarr at linuxmachines.com
Sat Aug 13 03:24:45 CEST 2005

On 08/12/2005 12:19 PM, Ken Fuchs wrote:
> Sorry, you are both wrong.  The USB cable is used _only_ for power.
> All data goes through the parallel port.  It is a slow (5 minutes to
> burn and 2 minutes to verify), cheap burner, but I have found it to be
> extremely reliable.
>
> I was talking about the Enhanced Willem Universal Programmer.
> Perhaps, the two of you were talking about another, possibly
> hypothetical flash programmer.

Just to verify once again, there is no known linux bios programmer?

What about programming the chips in socket from within Linux; yes risky,
but this does work right? The reason I ask is because that means that we
do know *HOW* to program them, we just don't have an external device to
do it.

I guess this is just another project to start with a bunch of people
that know how to program fpga's.

Thanks for everyone's feedback to me as a new person here.

Jeff
BTW: you might be able to speed up the programming of the chip if you do
it in burst mode. Lots of NOR flash chips support this. Are PC bios
chips usually NOR or NAND or something else all together? The code I saw
for the M-Systems chip in my machine looked like it was doing the
classic NOR state machine triggers (write 0xAAA, 0x555, etc). So I'm
guessing they are more like NOR than NAND. NAND would suck anyway
because it's not very reliable. Using NAND would be insanely stupid! (IMHO)