[LinuxBIOS] New LAR access functions

Jordan Crouse jordan.crouse at amd.com
Wed Jul 25 21:35:01 CEST 2007

On 25/07/07 20:36 +0200, Peter Stuge wrote:
> > This code also turns the bootblock path name as a constant value.
>
> ..but I think this is a disaster. I don't think lar should know about
> bootblocks, it should instead offer the functionality needed for the
> caller to put special files in special places within the larfile.

Fair enough.  I've been thinking about something like that, being able
to control where in the LAR the blob goes (as well as being able to control
where in memory it gets loaded to).

But seeing as though the bootblock is 1) very special, and 2) mandatory
for the LAR, I don't think there is any problem in calling it out specially,
especially since the position and the concept is a hard constant (for now).

Otherwise, the alternative is for the user to have to do the math, and know
that they should put the bootblock at size - 16k in the LAR.  That seems
problematic.

> > It also requires that the user specify a size when the LAR is
> > created.
>
> Since the larfile is supposed to be 1:1 of the flash chip I think
> this requirement is unavoidable.

Yes, but it further breaks the 'ar' / 'tar' / 'lar' similarity.

Jordan
--
Jordan Crouse
Systems Software Development Engineer