[LinuxBIOS] RD1 BIOS Savior [was Re: No known linux compatable BIOS programmer ?]

Luc Verhaegen libv at skynet.be
Tue Jun 5 21:44:47 CEST 2007

On Tue, Jun 05, 2007 at 07:56:10PM +0200, Peter Stuge wrote:

> > Also, implementation wise, we might want flashrom to take in a
> > pcitag for this sort of flashing to be enabled. This is a
> > reasonably idiot proof solution as to not accidentally flash the
> > wrong rom to the wrong place.
>
> Mh. I would prefer to probe and do something sane by default.
>
> Of course -w is always required to actually write.
>
> For disambiguating if there are several PCI devices that could be
> used to flash I think as you say -p is a good idea.
>
> I guess the ISA bridge is one of them too.
>
> flashrom should list the PCI devices it sees that can be used to
> flash.

Well, my view is that the default behaviour should be to use the
motherboard.

Yes, good idea, flashrom should list the possible devices:
-p without arguments could scan all pci devices and list the ones it can
use and list the rom id.

When using -w, a pci tag argument should be required to avoid mistakes.
-r with -p can happen if only one possible device is found.

Luc Verhaegen.