[LinuxBIOS] M57SLI Rev2.0 SPI - how to add the second bios chip (incl. pictures)

Peter Stuge peter at stuge.se
Sun Oct 14 03:45:10 CEST 2007

On Sat, Oct 13, 2007 at 07:30:29PM +0200, Harald Gutmann wrote:
> thanks for adding it to the wiki, because i've no account right
> now.

I would've put my description on the wiki but haven't had time. If
anyone wants to use my text or pictures please go ahead.

> getting these chips is quite hard, here in europe,

I have a couple of 8Mbit SST25VF080B sample chips that I can pass on.
I can't sell them but if you pay for postage I'll send you one or
two. They are in WSON package which is footprint compatible with
SOIC but not quite as easy to work with because no pins are exposed.

I can probably also get hold of chips for resale if there is need.

> but i'd recommend you, to try to get a serial eeprom,

An important clarification here. If you buy a "serial EEPROM" you'll
get something quite different from the SPI flash that is needed for
the Gigabyte board. (They also come in SOIC but have an I2C interface
and sizes are rarely in the megabits, usually they're only a few
kbytes.) Please don't confuse the two since they are not compatible.

> with more capacity, because with the mx25l4005 you just have 512kb
> space, and linuxbios with LAB as payload would require 1024kb.

Indeed - 8Mbit or more is the way to go.

> no problem to use an eeprom with more capacity.

Again important to note that none of the suitable chips will be
EEPROM, only flash ROM. Depending on who you purchase your chips
from, confusing the two terms may cause a big problem. (Ie. you
getting unusable chips.)

//Peter