[LinuxBIOS] Grand flash chip challenge

Stefan Reinauer stepan at coresystems.de
Tue Oct 23 19:27:39 CEST 2007

Peter Lemenkov wrote:
> BTW why we still not import all data from this wonderful GPL'ed
> utility? There are tons of information, and Uniflash greatly
> surpassing flashrom in case of supported hardware.

I guess its because it doesn't make a lot of sense to import tons of
untested and untestable code.
This would give people a wrong impression about what we think will work
and what will not.

If people see their HW supported in uniflash, using uniflash is probably
a great idea.

We get very few reports of unsupported hardware in flashrom, so I guess
flashrom support is not the most pressing issue.

If you wish to port flash devices over from uniflash and you can test
them on real hardware, that will be highly appreciated.

Another cool thing would be to fix the current flashchip code and
structure to be able to cope with partial writes _properly_ and
_cleanly_ rather than rewriting the whole chip, or the crappy approaches
used now. So flashrom could be used to safely update only the normal
image of your bios..

Currently a power loss during flashing might well mean loss of the
fallback image. :-(

Stefan

      Tel.: +49 761 7668825 • Fax: +49 761 7664613