[coreboot] v3 patch rm elfboot

Myles Watson mylesgw at gmail.com
Fri Feb 15 23:59:14 CET 2008

> From: ron minnich [mailto:rminnich at gmail.com]
>
> On Feb 15, 2008 1:37 PM, Myles Watson <mylesgw at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > Can you remind me why you'd want to put an ELF file into a lar, then
> > take it out and put it into an ELF again?  What about all the sections
> > we throw away when we put an ELF into the lar?
>

> When we take a file out of LAR, we lose the LAR header. That header,
> for payloads, is derived from ELF. So the extract from LAR loses
> information.
>
> If we had an option to pull a file from LAR, and generate an ELF, we
> can then put that file in another LAR later. That's my understanding
> of it.

So the use case is that you have a lar file, but don't have the ELF that you
started with originally, and you want to put it into a different lar file?
It might be easier to remove the other things in the lar instead, or do a
lar copy from one lar to a new lar, which wouldn't lose the entry points.

Sorry to be dense, but it would help me know if it's even possible if I
could understand the use case.  When we parse the ELF we lose information
like section names, that we won't be able to recover.

Myles