[coreboot] progress on lx

Peter Stuge peter at stuge.se
Tue Jan 22 19:46:59 CET 2008

On Tue, Jan 22, 2008 at 04:19:11PM +0100, Carl-Daniel Hailfinger wrote:
> > I am thinking of something like this:
> > id="pci,somevendorname,somedevicename";
>
> Makes sense if the coreboot code itself does not have to perform
> any string parsing.

Small thing; I would prefer something else than a comma after the
type, so that it is separated from the real information. Maybe:
id="pci:vendor,device";

I think that would make the syntax much more clear.

> > Further, in the dtc makefile I would like to preprocess pci_ids.h
> > to produce arrays of char * with a list of vendor and device
> > names. Then the  dtc tool can do the following:
> > check the path type (pci). Check that it has the proper arguments
> > (device, path). Then check the vendor name and device name to
> > make sure they are valid for that path type.
>
> I'm undecided about this one. It adds complexity, but the
> complexity helps verification of the code.

But it's buildtime complexity which must be better than runtime
complexity, and definately better than runtime failure.

//Peter