[coreboot] Coreboot on Tyan S2892

Ward Vandewege ward at gnu.org
Thu Nov 13 02:01:56 CET 2008

On Wed, Nov 12, 2008 at 07:08:42PM -0500, Anose, Bijoy K (N-Aerotek) wrote:
> > I just built an s2892 rom image with LAB payload (32 bit)
> > using the latest buildrom revision, without problems. I'm
> > building on 32-bit Ubuntu Hardy.
> > Toolchain issue?
>
> Hmm..  I attempted the 32-bit LAB build with a (32-bit) Intrepid Ibex
> system that had
> just recently been upgraded from Hardy..  I do have a Hardy box to build
> on as well,
> and I'll try that when I get home.

OK. I'll see if I can find out what goes wrong on Intrepid.

> > > In case this turns out to be a dead end, what does porting
> > a driver to
> > > FILO involve?
> >
> > LAB shouldn't be a dead end - I've got it in production on
> > several Tyan systems (s2881, s2882).
>
> Ok.  This is encouraging.

And I've got it working on an s2891, but there I see the ck804 sata
performance problem that I mentioned, so that box still runs under the
proprietary bios :/

> > > [... ] If I understand
> > > correctly, leaving out the ~36k chunk will still allow me
> > to have all
> > > the core functionality, just without VGA output..
> >
> > Yes. Once you have the image, you just prepend your VGA rom
> > to the image, and flash it. You can get the VGA rom from the
> > factory bios by using the correct decode utility (see the
> > s2881 tutorial, for example).
>
> I did happen to see the link to the "amideco" utility on the S2881
> tutorial, but the
> S2892 has a Phoenix BIOS.  If there is a Phoenix version of that
> utility, could someone
> make it available on the coreboot site?  The Russian domain is blocked
> by our Net Nanny..

I'm not sure that site is still what it used to be - the registration lapsed
a while ago iirc. In any case, there is a phoenix utility as well, and they
are all in debian and ubuntu universe (thanks to Uwe!). So you should be able
to just

  apt-get install phnxdeco

it.

Thanks,
Ward.

--
Ward Vandewege <ward at fsf.org>
Free Software Foundation - Senior Systems Administrator