[coreboot] EHCI Debug Port questions

Gregg Levine gregg.drwho8 at gmail.com
Sat Apr 25 16:44:50 CEST 2009

On Sat, Apr 25, 2009 at 8:21 AM, Stefan Reinauer <stepan at coresystems.de> wrote:
> Hi, Greg,
>
> On 25.04.2009 7:49 Uhr, Gregg Levine wrote:
>> Hello!
>> Besides the web pages discussing what works and what does not, sorry
>> to state that my current Linux box doesn't wear an ECHCI style USB
>> port, is there anything else to report here?
>>
> Whenever you have a serial port available, it's easier to use that one.
> You can, however, get a PCI plugin card with EHCI + Debug Port
> capabilities. Not sure which vendors/cards will work, though.
> It must be a pretty old box if it has no EHCI?
>> For example I just visited the site that discusses the Debug device,
>> and their favorite supplier (and builder of same) are still selling
>> them. I might even actually buy one of them next month, or for the
>> following one.
>>
> Right now, only a few chipsets really support the USB debug device in
> coreboot.
>

> --
> coresystems GmbH • Brahmsstr. 16 • D-79104 Freiburg i. Br.
>      Tel.: +49 761 7668825 • Fax: +49 761 7664613
> Email: info at coresystems.de  • http://www.coresystems.de/
> Registergericht: Amtsgericht Freiburg • HRB 7656
> Geschäftsführer: Stefan Reinauer • Ust-IdNr.: DE245674866

Hello!
Correct. All three Dells currently working here are of the time period
just before the decision to use these chipsets. I've also been
checking the motherboards I've got roosting here. So far, one is
listed as not having one, I'll know more soon.

Of course luckily one of the listed chipsets is the Ali family of add
ins so that should work. I can easily find one of those. (Add in
boards of course.)

And one of my occasional Linux users happens to be an SiS based
system, who happens to be one of the first generation of targets for
the families of coreboot.

-----
Gregg C Levine gregg.drwho8 at gmail.com
"This signature was once found posting rude
 messages in English in the Moscow subway."