[coreboot] [patch] flashrom: resending my patch about SPI/LPC conflicts

Peter Stuge peter at stuge.se
Fri Feb 20 18:53:24 CET 2009

Ward Vandewege wrote:
> > It's not a very generic fix. It's basically a compile time decision
> > whether to use SPI or LPC on SB600 chipsets.
>
> I understand. It works around the hang for me.

But it breaks all SB600 boards with SPI flash.

> > Is there no way we can detect what the system booted from?
>
> Is that what should decide which rom to flash?

I think that is the best we can do at this point.

> Are there scenarios where that would cause problems?

I can't think of one. Do you have something in mind?

> I suppose the 'easiest' way to fix this would be adding a command
> line option that forces LPC/SPI?

It just makes me really sad and annoyed to require manual control
like that when the SB600 for all other flash chip purposes is totally
excellent - nice and simple! I just don't want to believe that noone
thought of mirroring the boot straps in some register.

> Or, perhaps make the decision based on which board is detected?

Could do - would require every SB600 board to have an explicit
board_enable entry..

> That brings us back to the age-old problem of identifying boards
> based on PCI ids though.

..and quite likely instead require the use of -m for every SB600
board.

//Peter