[coreboot] Plugin support

Stefan Reinauer stepan at coresystems.de
Mon Feb 23 18:22:50 CET 2009

On 23.02.2009 18:04 Uhr, Myles Watson wrote:
> I implemented the *_PLUGIN_SUPPORT config options for v3.  I thought
> it was simple since I was just enabling the defines already in the
> code.  In retrospect I may have implemented them backward.
>
> The space in the ROM consumed by PLUGIN_SUPPORT is very small if you
> already have support for that bus.  If you don't have support for the
> bus it could be significant.  I wanted to make it so that e.g.
> HYPERTRANSPORT_PLUGIN_SUPPORT was the default if you had
> HYPERTRANSPORT_SUPPORT.  I'd also like people to be able to select
> CARDBUS_PLUGIN_SUPPORT or NO_CARDBUS_PLUGIN_SUPPORT.

How much code do all those "plugins" together consume, given you have a
system with none of that buses in the dts?

> Maybe we could get rid of the *PLUGIN_SUPPORT options all together and
> just allow the developer to select CARDBUS_SUPPORT or
> REMOVE_CARDBUS_SUPPORT directly?  We don't want people to deselect
> HYPERTRANSPORT_SUPPORT when they have an Opteron, though.

If we're talking about a significant amount of code that is disabled, I
tend to agree. On the other hand, Ron brought up the very valuable point
that we want to try remove as many conditional compilations as possible
to keep the code simple (and: testable)

> Could I get some feedback on what people want?  It's very low on my
> priority list, but I'm willing to take ownership since I put it there.

Sure.. :-)

      Tel.: +49 761 7668825 • Fax: +49 761 7664613