[coreboot] BBC EFI story

ali hagigat hagigatali at gmail.com
Sat Oct 2 12:19:56 CEST 2010

On Sat, Oct 2, 2010 at 12:04 PM, Stefan Reinauer
<stefan.reinauer at coresystems.de> wrote:
>  On 10/2/10 9:49 AM, ali hagigat wrote:
>>ordered 4 motherboards, over
>> 11000$.
> You made a very bad deal on those mainboards if that's USD. If I
> remember correctly the list price should rather be 1/10th of that for 4
> mainboards.

I have ordered them by Kontron, it is a company in Germany. They do
not sell motherboards, they sell a complete case of a computer and the
price was nearly 2600$(KISS 2U, KISS 4U).

>> gives this information to big BIOS companies ONLY.
> Not so true, other people made it, too. I even explained to you how to
> do it.
Stefan, you are working for a big company and you wrote for me that we
could get that privileged license for documentation hardly after one
year!!

>> At least you could update Wiki pages to state this fact clearly to
>> stop people waste money.
> I doubt we can keep the world from making bad decisions and seeking the fault in others by just putting a few words in a wiki.

Many may make this mistake because nobody can study Intel documents in
details to know that there is unexplained parts in the manual before
even getting a board. Now I have made it clear, before i do not think
even one person mentioned the issue.

>Have you even tried to understand
> the public documentation? We have over 50 contributors, so it seems
> others have made it, because they tried. Why don't you?

My plan was to gather a thorough knowledge of one example of Coreboot.
I dislike much to deal with a subject which in incomplete.

from	Corey Osgood <corey.osgood at gmail.com>
to	ali hagigat <hagigatali at gmail.com>
cc	coreboot at coreboot.org
date	Sat, Oct 2, 2010 at 12:30 PM
subject	Re: [coreboot] BBC EFI story

>Most people don't insist on understanding every single line of chipset
>code to port a motherboard. If your chipset is supported, it should be
>relatively easy to port a board to it.

I do not want to port Coreboot first. My immediate purpose was to
study and become proficient in the subject. How I can port Coreboot
without even knowing it and researching on it first.

>I understand that this can be frustrating, but it's something that the >coreboot project has no control over.
>NDA stands for Non-Disclosure Agreement, which means that

At least you could add some lines about NDA story and incomplete data
sheets in Wiki or you could made the following fact clear :

"Anybody who wants to study and learn Coreboot must know that the
documentation of hardware is incomplete and there are some hidden
cases which will never become clear!!"

>Don't blame coreboot for your own misunderstanding. Just because a
>project is open source doesn't mean every bit of data on how the code
>was written has public documentation. The linux kernel (and I imagine
>BSD, solaris, etc) is also open source, but some of the hardware
>supported within doesn't have public datasheets, or the datasheets
>that are public are incomplete.

Linux Kernel contains variety of software structures, techniques and
logic except the architecture, Coreboot is about BIOS and it deals
with hardware directly and mostly, having a complete hardware
documentation is necessary and compulsory for Coreboot while Linux
Kernel have many logical sections apart from architecture and they are
used and learned independently. They are in two different categories
in my opinion.