[coreboot] problems with Gigabyte GA-MA785GM-US2H

Peter Stuge peter at stuge.se
Sun Oct 28 00:26:26 CEST 2012

Anthoine Bourgeois wrote:
> > Did you run the VGA BIOS in the coreboot emulator or did you make
> > sure that only SeaBIOS would run it? Note that the default is
> > coreboot, which I think is wrong.
>
> I'm not sure I understand the nuance

coreboot by default tries to run option ROMs in an emulator.

SeaBIOS runs option ROMs on bare metal.

It is redundant and wrong to do both. It is a really bad error that
coreboot defaults both to running ROMs *and* using SeaBIOS as default
payload. The only thing that makes sense is to have only one. If
SeaBIOS is available it should generally be taking care of option
ROMs.

> I followed the instruction on SeaBIOS page (
> http://www.coreboot.org/SeaBIOS#Adding_a_VGA_option_ROM) then I think
> it's SeaBIOS who managed the VGABIOS.

No.

> But I didn't know who ran the VGABIOS really (emulator or SeaBIOS).
> How can I check it ? All my config was default

Then the configuration is wrong. Disable all the option ROM stuff
under Chipset in coreboot menuconfig. Or use this:

git clone http://review.coreboot.org/coreboot && cd coreboot && \
  git fetch origin refs/changes/38/1638/1 && git checkout FETCH_HEAD

> > > I pass radeon.modeset=0 to access a console and flash my rom to get
> > > my old bios back.
> >
> > OK, so you did have graphics then?
>
> No, only the console worked, the screen froze when xorg started up.

Console very much counts as working graphics. "not working graphics"
means that the screen never shows anything.

Start by fixing the redundant option ROM configuration. See if that
helps at all.

//Peter