The long term goal is to replace the common LinuxBIOS payload FILO with a LinuxBIOS-capable version of GRUB2.
To achieve this, two things need to happen.
- build a single grub2.elf binary that contains all modules required to boot the system.
- add an IDE driver to grub2.
- Tristan Gingold has written an IDE driver for GRUB2
- Stefan Reinauer started integrating this IDE driver and building a single grub2.elf binary.
- Currently, grub2 on x86 platforms is rather dependent on a legacy bios and starting from 16bit mode.
How to help?
Contact Stefan Reinauer or the LinuxBIOS mailing list for more information.