EPIA VGA patch

SONE Takeshi ts1 at cma.co.jp
Thu May 15 04:04:01 CEST 2003

On Thu, May 15, 2003 at 03:49:30AM -0400, Adam Sulmicki wrote:
> video bios is copyrighted. we can't collect/distribute those. I belive.

I knew that, and I'm talking about lines like these from Makefile:

    25  VIDEO64W=video/video.bios-WINFAST64kb.bin
    26  VIDEO64M=
    27  VIDEO64P=video/video.bios-P6STMT-64kb.bin

    39  build: loader.o bios
    40          cat ${ELF129} ${LOADER} ${PIRQ_M} ${BIOS_B} ${VIDEO64P} > ${PAYLOAD}

I call this hardcode.
Although it is trivial to adapt those lines to a specific board
(that's almost all in patch), I don't think this the right way to do
things.

> > which shadow ON/OFF code to include, etc.
>
> Well the idea was to move all motherboard-dependant stuff into LinuxBIOS
> and and leave ADLO motherboard-independent. After all, we are talking here
> only about control of shadow ram and that's about it.

My patch enables shadow RAM in LinuxBIOS, and doesn't touch
those registers in ADLO at all.

> > > as for timing isuses you may want to play with ide driver.
> > > It hangs before hitting IDE code. Video is not initialized.
>
> Weird.
>
> Perhaps u can try playing with port-80?
>
> maybe it is keyboard?

I don't have a POST card, and connecting or disconnecting keyboard
doesn't help.

Probably LinuxBIOS enables cache on my shadow RAM area,
and it might be a cache problem.

--
Takeshi