EPIA5000 & parallel port

Sven Luebke sven.luebke at mikrosol.de
Sun Sep 21 07:35:01 CEST 2003

At 11:49 21.09.2003 +0200, you wrote:

Hi Hubert!

>There seems to be just one more problem - Is it possible that the parallel
>port is not initialized correctly by LinuxBIOS?

It's not initialized at all...

>I need it for my LCD which is controlled by LCDproc.
>
>With my original BIOS, everything works smoothly - with or without kernel
>parallel port support. But with LinuxBIOS nothing happens on the Display,
>seems as if no data is written to the port. LCDproc doesn't complain at
>all, but that's no surprise since it does not get any feedback from the
>LCD device anyways.
>Additionally, seems as if a kernel compiled with parallel port support
>doesn't find it either:

I had the same problem and implemented the parallel port initialization. It
is working now, patches sent
to Ron Minnich, but he wanted to do some cosmetic changes next week. If you
are in a hurry, you can
download it here,

http://www.mikrosol.de/southbridge.c        copy it
to  freebios\src\superio\via\vt8231\
http://www.mikrosol.de/setup_serial.inc     copy it
to  freebios\src\southbridge\via\vt8231\

then recompile, flash and lcdproc should work now!

Best regards,

Sven