status information

Richard Smith rsmith at bitworks.com
Fri Oct 29 12:14:00 CEST 2004

Li-Ta Lo wrote:

> On Thu, 2004-10-28 at 16:58, Eric W. Biederman wrote:
>
>>As for CF.  I guess I have only seen LANL doing that, and it
>>seems a little unsatisfactory.  There is no reason why beoboot
>>needs that much space for example.

> I bet there are a lot of people using CF in the embedded world, they
> can't use Etherboot to fetch the kernel from the net as you do. We
> should not only think about HPC applications. People in embedded
> market are in different enviroment and have different cost structure
> than you.

I'm using a CF on our board.

> I think the most important issue is you tried to use ldscript magic
> to layout the rom image. But it is still somehow 'hardcoded'. If it
> is really that magical, people should have no problem changing the
> rom layout by editing their target/Config.lb. and put the c_payload
> wherever they want.

I've got a concern/question about moving the payload location.  Are we
talking about the location in RAM?

My ADLO+BOCHS+vbios payload is 130kib.  So moving the payload to
0x0e0000 in the ROM is going to cause me issues.

What exactly is the memory map of linuxBIOS?  I've kinda looked at the
ldscript but since I've never needed to chage it I must admit that its
mostly magic to me.

--
Richard A. Smith