[coreboot] proposed patch to src/lib/console.c

ron minnich rminnich at gmail.com
Tue Apr 21 17:08:07 CEST 2009

On Tue, Apr 21, 2009 at 7:53 AM, Carl-Daniel Hailfinger
<c-d.hailfinger.devel.2006 at gmx.net> wrote:

> v3 has/had that issue as well. Basically, we want to print stuff as
> early as possible, but doing that before the Super I/O is set up is
> questionable at best. It may work for some machines due to favourable
> default settings, but I wouldn't count on it.

Every kernel I've ever worked on has this problem. At some point, you
can print. Before that point, you can not. The simplest way to handle
the problem is to make sure people don't call any print functions
before it is possible to do it.

My experience has been that the way we're doing it can cause trouble,
because people end up calling print functions that never print
anything.

ron