[coreboot] SerialICE 1.0 - QEMU stops responding

Daniel Liu daliu87 at gmail.com
Tue Aug 4 21:34:43 CEST 2009

Hey,

I've been trying to use SerialICE to trace through some BIOS code, but
periodically QEMU stops responding.  The SerialICE rom loaded onto the
target motherboard's bios chip still responds to serial commands.  It's not
a specific instruction that causes it to stop, it seems to stop at random
points when running normally and when debugging with GDB. Does anyone know
why this might be happening?

I setup SerialICE following the README instructions for QEMU 0.10.4.  My
host system with QEMU is running Debian Linux 2.6.30-1-amd64.  My target
board is an ASUS P5Q-EM DO based on the Q45 Chipset with an ICH10.  I'm
using the intel_d945gclf.c mainboard configuration (which works fine with
the newer chipset).

Thanks,
Daniel Liu