[coreboot] [flashrom] We have a FOSDEM DevRoom!

Carl-Daniel Hailfinger c-d.hailfinger.devel.2006 at gmx.net
Wed Dec 2 01:13:18 CET 2009

On 02.12.2009 00:36, Luc Verhaegen wrote:
> The kind FOSDEM organizers have given us a DevRoom on saturday the 6th
> of February, as requested.

Thanks a lot for organizing this, Luc!

> We have a total of 6 slots available, two of which should be filled with
> an "introductory" talk about coreboot and one about flashrom.
> Introductory here means "this is what $project is, and now we dive
> straight into the gory details." So there are 4 more which i would like
> to see filled up in the next month.

Possible topics from me (time requirements vary, I'm pretty flexible in
that regard):
- Writing a flashrom driver for your favourite programmer (can do in 15
minutes or less).
- Hands-on flash chip programming (one flash chip and one cheap
home-built programmer for interested participants). Could be combined
with the topic above for a "Total Flashrom Experience(tm)".
- Managing user emergency support and development (flashrom is one of
the most dangerous-to-working-computer projects out there). Mostly a
management talk about how to deal with desperate users and nonconforming
hardware without getting a black eye. Not really my favourite topic, but
if there is overwhelming demand, I can do.
- Using flashrom to detect BIOS rootkits and other nasty stuff living in
your BIOS chip (with demo and background).

I gave the BIOS rootkit detection talk at 0sec conference in Berne and
OpenExpo in Zürich (with quite a lot of audience participation each
time), tailored for the needs of each event. Depending on what the
audience expects, I will come up with some new stuff and adjust the main
focus of that talk on the security aspect or the real-world problems
faced by this task.

It would be great if someone else who is involved in flashrom
development right now could fill one of the slots. With Luc tackling the
flash enable stuff, I can either cover one of the topics I mentioned
above or give a general introductory flashrom talk. Cooperative talks
are an option for me as well.

Oh, and we need all the external programmers supported by flashrom for
display purposes. (Photos are also acceptable, but being able to show
the real stuff is so much more exciting for the audience.)

Regards,
Carl-Daniel

--
Developer quote of the month:
"We are juggling too many chainsaws and flaming arrows and tigers."