[coreboot] [OT] Misunderstanding due to Google Mail behaving weird (was: support for S-1156 ASUS Maximus III Formula)

Paul Menzel paulepanter at users.sourceforge.net
Mon Dec 28 11:15:25 CET 2009

Dear David,

Am Montag, den 28.12.2009, 09:29 +0000 schrieb David Houston:
> I think your missing the point of some of the other list posts that
> have been replied to you.

Are you sure, you did not mix up the posts and the posters?

> A lot of what coreboot is about is
> motivation to solve and find information out yourself.

Well I kind of disagree. If an information has been found by someone why
not share it and save the others the time having to search for it again.

> > What chipsets and devices does it have?
>
> I found this information on Google within 30 seconds of a search.

So why do not you share the link?

Of course everyone is able to find it by himself in a certain amount of
time. But if every reader of this list has to do it this sums up to
quite some amount.

So it would be nice if the information is provided in the message and
even better with a link to the product page. So everyone interested does
not waste any time.

> Porting coreboot to a unsupported board is no easy task, and the main
> developers are busy working on other things (within coreboot) rather
> than porting boards. People here and in IRC are always willing to
> help, but it takes a little on your part as well.
>
> I think that what has already been suggested to you is why not pick a
> new board from the supported boards on coreboot.org or a cheaper
> option would be try coreboot out in qemu, many of us here use qemu and
> it is by no means a second rate product.

I agree. But I think nobody behaved the way you described/assumed.

> Apologies for the lecture

;-)

Oh, know I have a guess why this misunderstanding happened.

Maybe my change of the subject and you using Google Mail web interface
which opens a new thread if the subject changes and does not adhere to
the threading information in the messages header made you read this
message out of context?

Thanks,

Paul