[coreboot] [RFC] Universal panic-room serial console, for x86 BIOS bootblock

Pete Batard pete at akeo.ie
Tue Jul 12 01:40:17 CEST 2011

On 2011.07.11 18:43, Patrick Georgi wrote:
> My main concern is that SuperIO and serial is going away completely
> ("legacy-free hardware").

Alas, yes, native RS232 seems to be on the way out these days. Still
(but I'm obviously biased here) we can support most of the non
legacy-free hardware with less than 2 KB of code, so why not go for it?
Requiring people to acquire hardware that duplicates a functionality
they already have, and which we can support without too much effort,
doesn't seem like the best approach to me. I'm also wondering how much
real-estate a minimal xHCI stack will take in a panic-room bootblock.

But part of the reason I posted is also to find out what the current
coreboot plans with regards to the panic-room implementation are,
especially as there is a GSoC project for it. Has the set of feature,
and how they should be implemented, already been agreed on, or is it
still open for discussion?

Regards,

/Pete