[coreboot] 8 GB DIMMs on Nehalem (Arrandale)

Zoran Stojsavljevic zoran.stojsavljevic at gmail.com
Sat Jan 28 17:01:05 CET 2017

Hello Stefan,

Let me ask you for some other stuff, since I would like to put what I wrote
initially to hold (sleep state, for now).

You wrote: *The official specs are not trustworthy IMHO and cpuid(1) and
/proc/cpuinfo **show the same physical address width of 36 bits (which
would indicate a **maximum of 64 GB).*

Question to you: are you dealing with i686 kernel, (32 bit)? It seems to me
that you have Nehalem which complies in IA32 with PAE HW extension, don't
you?!

What is PAE? Here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Physical_Address_Extension

In computing <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Computing>, *Physical Address
Extension* (*PAE*), sometimes referred to as *Page Address Extension*, is a
memory management feature for the IA-32
<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IA-32> architecture. *PAE was first
introduced in the **Pentium Pro
<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pentium_Pro>. It defines a page table
<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Page_table> hierarchy of three levels, with
table entries of 64 bits each instead of 32, allowing these CPUs to access
a physical address space
<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Address_space> larger than 4 gigabytes
<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gigabyte> (232** bytes)*.

This is very important -> *Enabling PAE (by setting bit 5, PAE, of the
system register CR4) causes major changes to this scheme...*

Thank you,
Zoran