[coreboot] Resource allocation

ron minnich rminnich at gmail.com
Tue Nov 11 20:44:34 CET 2008

On Tue, Nov 11, 2008 at 11:20 AM, Myles Watson <mylesgw at gmail.com> wrote:

> Opteron -> 8111 -> 8111lpc -> Winbond SuperIO
>
> The SuperIO has resources like this:
>        PNP 2e.0: size 8 align 3 gran 3 limit 7ff flags 100 index 60
>                - IO resource that has to be allocated below 7ff
>        PNP 2e.5: size 1 align 0 gran 0 limit ffffffff flags 60000100 index
> 60
>                - IO resource that has to be allocated below ffffffff
>
> Then does the 8111lpc need to have an IO subtractive resource? the 8111? the
> domain?

Well what appears to happen on more modern k8 hardware (and I am
pretty sure this did not happen in the early days, but who knows -- we
did the resource map on older boards so this would all work).

The legacy chain will "just work" such that this device can be
accessed. In other words, some set of hardware will work correctly so
that, e.g., FLASH can be read. Since this part IIRC is also on the
chain (?) it is accessible too.