[coreboot] [v2] r4245 - in trunk/coreboot-v2: src/mainboard/rca/rm4100 src/mainboard/thomson/ip1000 targets/rca/rm4100 targets/thomson/ip1000

Joseph Smith joe at settoplinux.org
Fri May 1 19:27:40 CEST 2009

On Fri, 1 May 2009 09:04:44 -0700, ron minnich <rminnich at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Fri, May 1, 2009 at 4:50 AM, Joseph Smith <joe at settoplinux.org> wrote:
>
>> Because, I have some people that use use these boxes in "headless mode"
> for
>> LAMP servers, Asterisk servers, etc. So I want to keep all the vga stuff
>> togethor and an "option" making their boot time as fast as possible. And
>> think it was Ron that once said that most options should always be set
> in
>> targets Config.lb. Should I update the abuild Config.lb to reflect my
>> normal Config.lb?
>
> What's the normal usage?

A set-top-box of course! The problem with that is it doesn't have a VGA
connector, only tv-out. So unless you are soldering crafty and can solder
on a vga connector, you are limited to serial console or ssh. But, very
soon the tv-out will be working and set-top-box all the way :-)

> If the most common usage is the headless stuff then it should default 0.
>
> This is always a judgement call. One thing to note: if if has been 0,
> and you change it 1, you are going to have to tell any users of
> headless that they need to make  new target with this set to 0.

Right.

> How will the unconditional inclusion of the vga.o (from the other
> thread) affect headless users? It still seems to me that it would be
> easy to say
> if CONFIG_CONSOLE_VGA
>         object vga.o
> end

Hmm, interesting.
I was also thinking about making it a little more user friendly by wrapping
all the vga options into one. Something like in mainboard Options.lb:

#ifdef VGA_ENABLE /* or some other global define */
default CONFIG_CONSOLE_VGA = 1
default CONFIG_PCI_ROM_RUN = 1
default CONFIG_PCI_OPTION_ROM_RUN_VM86 = 1
default CONFIG_VIDEO_MB = 8
#else
default CONFIG_CONSOLE_VGA = 0
default CONFIG_PCI_ROM_RUN = 0
default CONFIG_PCI_OPTION_ROM_RUN_VM86 = 0
default CONFIG_VIDEO_MB = 0
#endif

An then all the user would have to do in targets Config.lb is:

## Enable VGA off=0(default) On=1
option VGA_ENABLE = 1

Would that work?

Joseph Smith