Welcome to the page for the HP EliteBook 8770w. This laptop is currently unique among coreboot capable laptops because of its use of discrete MXM 3.0b graphics cards, which have very high performance for a laptop.
This page is a WIP!
Intel_Native_Raminit has its own status page.
- S3 (Suspend to RAM)
- CPU and memory: i7-3720QM, 4G+4G, 4G+4G+4G+4G
- Video (internal, DP)
- Linux (through SeaBIOS as payload)
- Keyboard, trackpoint, touchpad
- Serial port on dock
- Fan control
- AC and battery status
- Sound (integrated speakers, integrated mic, external headphones, external mic)
- Brightness and volume FN keys
- Mute and calculator hotkeys
- Status LEDs
- SD card slot
- Thermal management
- GRUB2 as payload will freeze. Has something to do with at_keyboard module. The built in keyboard requires this module to function though.
- Sleep FN key
- WiFi toggle and internet browser hotkeys
- S3 fails to resume (restarts) if the laptop is removed from AC power while suspended, or gets unplugged and then plugged back in while suspended. Sleep status LEDs remain normal during this process.
- Fingerprint reader
Proprietary Components Status
- CPU Microcode
- Intel Gigabit LAN (optional?)
- ME (Management Engine) firmware
- EC (Embedded Controller): The EC in this laptop is SMSC KBC1126. It needs two blobs in the flash chip.
The laptop works fine without microcode, unless you are using LUKS full disk encryption, in which case it will probably crash within 1 minute of booting.
See HP Elitebook for instructions of building coreboot for HP Elitebooks.
You need to disassemble the laptop. Instructions on how to do this can be found in the Maintenance and Service Manual. The flash chip is near the memory slots. It is usually in SOIC-16 package, but some may have it in SOIC-8. You can use an SOIC clip and a programmer of your choice to flash it. Pomona 5250 and 5252 are recommended for this.
You can also do an internal flash with flashrom after you have coreboot installed and IFD unlocked. To do so, you will need to pass the "iomem=relaxed" parameter to your kernel when booting linux and pass the "-p internal:laptop=force_I_want_a_brick" parameter to flashrom itself while flashing.